The early beginnings of Central Philippine University can be traced back to the awakening of the Protestant churches in America to reach out to other nations. To share the Gospel carrying within it the command of our Lord Jesus Christ to share His message to all nations": Mark 16:15
Central Philippine University was founded in October 1, 1905 by William O. Valentine, as Jaro Industrial School - an elementary vocational school for boys teaching each one that "labor is honor." It also served as a Bible School to train Christian pastors and workers under the auspices of American Baptist Foreign Mission (now known as the United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia). It became Central Philippine College in 1923 and a University in 1953.
Central Philippine University experienced so many upheavals through the years - from its humble beginnings up to her gallant response to the diverse patriotic needs and call for service during World War II which clearly depicted love of God and the Philippines, even at the cost of losing properties and precious lives. All these ravages cannot dampen the Central Spirit desire to rebuild and move forward. Moved by the Central Spirit's triumph over any turmoil, Lt. Rex Drilon, a pre-war faculty member who bacame the first Filipino President of the University, said in his own passionate words: "Out of the ashes and ruins of war shall raise a greater Central".
Through the years, many Centralians are scattered all over the world realizing their dreams and making an impact in their chosen profession The Lord has been gracious and faithful to Central Philippine University.